You have 10 free articles left this month. Get your freeBasic subscription now and gain instant access to more.

Turkey's Oyak Renault to suspend production over coronavirus pandemic

Turkey's Oyak Renault to suspend production over coronavirus pandemic Author: Yannick BROSSARD. License: All rights reserved.

ANKARA (Turkey), March 25 (SeeNews) - Turkey's Oyak Renault Automobile Factories, part of French car manufacturer Groupe Renault, will halt temporarily most of its operations because of the coronavirus pandemic, Groupe Renault said on Wednesday. 

Considering the developments related to the coronavirus outbreak and the disruptions in the global supply chain processes, Oyak Renault has decided to suspend most of our operations as of March 26, Groupe Renault said in a statement.

The production resumption date will be disclosed based on the developments in the country and the world in line with the decisions of Oyak Renault and Groupe Renault, the statement reads. 

Set up in 1969, Oyak Renault is 51%-owned by Groupe Renault. The remaining 49% stake is held by Turkish army's pension fund OYAK. 

Oyak Renault is one of the Groupe Renault's largest production centres with an annual production capacity of 360,000 cars, 750,000 engines, 394,000 gearboxes and 428,000 chassis, company data shows. Oyak Renault employed 6,656 people as at December 31, 2018.

Compare